• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

medicating fatigue (glandular fever)

Crankinit

Bluelighter
Has anyone had any success with medicating the fatigue that occurs as a result of a long term glandular fever infection?

I fell sick in October last year and in the 10 months since have never really recovered. My health fluctuates a lot, I had a period a few months ago where I felt almost completely recovered for a few weeks, but then of course the virus relapsed and currently due to a slightly increased activity level I'm feeling almost as bad as I was 10 months ago.

As I'm sure you can imagine this has really taken it's toll on my life. The fatigue and the physical pain/ mental fogging that's associated with it is seriously interferring with my quality of life, and although I've put up with it on the hope that I would eventually recover, I'm starting to wonder if that's the case. I follow the same pattern, I live anincredibly sedentary lifestyle, start to feel slightly better, then the moment I exert myself even slightly it all comes crashing down on me again.

A few months ago I discussed the option of medicating myself briefly with my doctor. She didn't seem too keen on the idea and I didn't persue it any further, hopeful that she was right that 'time will heal all.' Now that I'm trying to put my life back on track and still suffering significant symptoms, I'm at the point of possibly persuing treatment again.

I mean, when I first fell sick it was 'wait a month or two.' Then, 'most patients make complete recovery within 6 months,' now 'oh you'll get better eventually.' They just kept setting the bar further and now don't even bother..

The main drug that interests me is Modafinil, since it's allegedly very good for fighting fatigue without the habit-forming and sleep-disturbing properties of traditional stimulants. Failing that, I wouldn't be opposed to giving methylphenidate a shot, though I'd be wary of using amphetamines.

Has anybody had any experience with treating similar chronic/post-viral fatigue? Or does anybody with a knowledge of the subject have any advice on it? I'm kind of at my wits end here, I really need to just get my life back on track and this condition is making it impossible.

The main issue I see is that overextending myself on the meds could just further weaken my immune system and be counterproductive to a recovery, but I have to weigh that against even the slightest chance of recovering some of my old lifestyle.

Worth noting is that I dosed methamphetamine a few months ago and found it both reenergized me and didn't cause a significant 'rebound fatigue' effect that exerting myself normally does, I'm not sure what that means and I'm not interesting in trying to self medicate with street drugs, but I thought it worth mentioning.

Sorry about the wall of text :p Any input on the subject would really be appreciated though.